Headmaster John Weeks has announced that Knox Grammar School will commence construction of a new Performing Arts Centre and Junior Secondary Academy in February 2017.
The ambitious building will take approximately two years to build and includes outstanding performing arts facilities including a 750-seat auditorium, 160-seat drama space and musical rehearsal spaces.
Performing Arts facilities
Junior Academy facilities
- 750-seat multipurpose auditorium, for musical and drama performances, with a large stage, an adjustable orchestra pit, cutting-edge lighting and sound equipment, as well as tiered seating
- Smaller performance space with 160 seats for intimate drama performances and recitals
- Dance studio for traditional and contemporary dance
- Large music training room for rehearsals
- Soundproof rehearsal rooms for one-on-one tuition
- Home of the Knox Academy of the Performing Arts
- Home of the Years 7-12 Music and Drama Departments
- Specialist music and drama classrooms
- Choir training room, percussion space, keyboard lab
- Café with an outdoor terrace
- Underground carpark with approximately 150 spaces
- Breakout spaces for study and socialising
- Years 7 and 8 administration hub
- Dedicated Years 7-8 canteen
- Dedicated bathroom facilities
- Use of performing arts spaces for year meetings, seminars and presentations
Work on this project is expected to commence in February 2017 with the demolition of the Woodville Ave Administration Building and carpark.