Students from Knox broke 15 records at the Combined Associated Schools (CAS) Swimming and Diving Champions at Homebush on Thursday evening and finished second overall in both swimming and diving.
Thirty-two swimmers and seven divers represented Knox at the meet, supported by a massive crowd of more than 500 Knox students and around 200 parents and staff. Nine individual records and six relay records were broken by the Knox team.
The individual record breakers were Paul Van Westing (three records), Vincent Dai (two records), Justin Lee (two records), William Yang (two records).
The other record breaking Knox teams were:
- 16 years 200 metre medley (William Yang, Andrew Hemsworth, Sam Ritchens and Vincent Dai)
- 15 years 200 metre medley (Leon MacAllister, Thomas Woodcock, John Kyrikos and Stephen Sheahan)
- 13 years 200 metre freestyle (Justin Lee, Sydney Robertson, Lachlan Kelly and Ben Bradshaw)
- 14 years 200 metre freestyle (Xaviour Wall, Ben Shariat, Kevin Zhang and Alexander Trobec)
- 16 years 200 metre freestyle (William Yang, Charlie Sennitt, Sam Ritchens and Sebastian Joubert)
- Open 200 metre freestyle (Lukas De Vries, Matthew Georgevits, Tristan Hollard and Paul Van Westing
Team Captain Paul Van Westing swam the fastest-ever relay split by a CAS student, recording 22.4 seconds for 50 metres the open freestyle relay race.
“It was a tremendous night with Knox relay teams winning nine out of the twelve relays,” said the Head of the Knox Sports Academy, Chuck Ardron. “The atmosphere at the Olympic Park Aquatic Centre was electric with thousands of Sydney students cheering on their peers.”
Knox won 33 of the 73 events. The overall winner of the points competition was Trinity Grammar (546 points), with Knox finishing second (544) followed by Barker (428).