Welcome to the next remarkable step in our journey to provide outstanding spaces and learning opportunities for future generations of young people at Knox.
After more than two years’ construction work, the Junior Academy and Performing Arts Centre (JAPAC) is now open for our students to enjoy.
Junior Academy features:
- Junior Academy (Years 7-8) lounge for collaboration, study and socialising
- Years 7-8 administration hub
- Dedicated Junior Academy Café for Years 7-8 students
- Years 7-8 outdoor recreation area with table tennis, handball and basketball courts
- Additional bathroom facilities
- Use of performing arts spaces for year meetings, seminars and presentations
Junior Academy Lounge
This is the beating heart of the Knox Junior Academy - a unique place where boys in Years 7 and 8 can study, collaborate, socialise and meet with teachers for extra academic support.
Located on the upper level of the building, the vibrant Junior Academy Lounge is packed with colourful and comfortable furniture to encourage students to feel at home. The lounge is open from before school until late afternoon. Students can spill out from the lounge onto an outdoor terrace with informal seating and garden areas.
Junior Academy Café
On the ground floor, the Junior Academy Café fuels hordes of hungry Years 7 and 8 boys and staff with fresh, healthy meals from breakfast to lunchtime. The café also opens for special events such as music and theatrical performances in the main auditorium.
Junior Academy recreation area
This new outdoor recreation precinct featuring table tennis, handball and basketball courts provides space for boys to burn off energy with their mates.
Performing Arts Centre features:
- 750-seat multipurpose auditorium, for music and theatrical performances, with a large stage, an adjustable orchestra pit, cutting-edge lighting and sound equipment, as well as tiered seating
- Drama theatre with 165 seats for intimate drama performances and recitals
- Purpose-built dance studio for traditional and contemporary dance
- Two dedicated large music rehearsal rooms
- Soundproof private teaching rooms for one-on-one music tuition
- Home of the Knox Academy of the Performing Arts
- Home of the Years 7-12 Music and Drama Departments
- Specialist music and drama classrooms
- Choir rehearsal room and dedicated percussion space
- Professional-quality, soundproof recording studio and rock band lab
A place to perform
Whether they love tap dancing or tickling the ivories, drama or drumming, classical or contemporary - the Knox Junior Academy and Performing Arts Centre will support each student in their engagement with the performing arts.
Academic music and drama
Six spacious music classrooms provide opportunities for boys to build on their passion for music performance and theory through the Senior School’s academic Music Department.
Students studying Drama hone their skills in a flexible and innovative Drama classroom, which can be sub-divided using curtains to allow individual and group rehearsals.
Beyond the classroom
Acoustically designed performance and rehearsal spaces cater for all co-curricular performing arts’ needs, from dance to choir and private lessons to ensembles.
An intimate 165-seat Drama Theatre is perfect for smaller performances while the stunning 750-seat auditorium caters for large orchestral events and musicals.
Students learning ballet, tap and contemporary dance can develop their craft and perform in a purpose-built dance studio.