AT THE PREP, WE ARE PASSIONATE ABOUT THE PERFORMING ARTS!
The Prep Music Department has three teachers on staff and more than 36 instrumental staff. Over 400 Prep boys learn a musical instrument. Students at Knox Prep have access to the stunning new Knox Junior Academy and Performing Arts Centre located at the Senior School.
LEARNING A MUSICAL INSTRUMENT
The Prep Music Department provides private tuition in:
- Woodwind: flute, clarinet, oboe, saxophone
- Brass: trumpet, trombone, French horn, baritone horn, euphonium, tuba
- Strings: (Suzuki and traditional) - violin, viola, cello, double bass
- Percussion - drumkit, tuned and un-tuned
- Guitar - acoustic, electric guitar and electric bass
- Musicianship/music theory
BANDS AND ENSEMBLES
Playing in a ensemble is a great way to make friends and develop teamwork skills. We offer ensemble opportunities for all year levels including:
- Bands - Concert, Jazz Bands, Rock and Marching
- String Ensembles and Orchestra (Junior and Senior)
- Ensembles: Percussion, Guitar, Cello, Handbells, String Quartet
The ensembles normally rehearse before school and at lunchtime and play at school and community events and at various competitions and eisteddfods.
Our bands and ensembles have been successful in many recent competitions, including several gold medals at the NSW School Band Festival.
Our Prep choirs are fully inclusive of all boys and aim to encourage boys to enjoy singing. All boys from Kindergarten to Year 2 attend choir during class time. Choir is optional for boys in Years 3 to 6, with rehearsals held before school. The choirs perform at school assemblies and other events.
DRAMA AND THEATRE
Boys are given many opportunities to pursue their love of performance and drama.
- Kindergarten - Year 2 - Major Christmas concert
- Year 3 and 4 - Mini musical
- Year 5 - KnoxFest Short Film Festival - Boys work in teams to create short films
- Year 6 - Major musical production