The Knox Grammar School archive and museum program was introduced in 1989 with the purpose of selecting, preserving and administering access to the records and museum pieces which best document the origins, development and continuing history of Knox Grammar School and its associated organisations (Old Knox Grammarians' Association, The Knox Parents' Association, and the Knox mothers' groups).

Archives and Museum Contact details

Ms Jo Tait
Phone: +61 2 9487 0403
Email: taitj@knox.nsw.edu.au

The Archivist undertakes research under the direction of the Headmaster. The museum contains previous School uniforms, trophies, medals and medallions, certificates, commissioned works of art and numerous items of School memorabilia and two ethnographic collections.

Requests for access to the records of the School should be made in writing to the archivist, Ms Josephine Tait, and should briefly state the purpose of the research.  The archives should be consulted after all other published sources have been investigated. These sources include:

  • The Knox Grammarian from 1928 [copies are held in the School Library, the Development Office and the Archives].
  • B Mansfield, Knox: A History of Knox Grammar School, 1924-1974, Halstead Press, Sydney, 1974.
  • Knox In Our Own Words, Fine Arts Press, 1991.
  • Knox Remembers 1939 - 1945, 1995.
  • The Old Knox Grammarians’ Association 1929-1999 – The first Seventy Years, Antony H Osman
  • Occasional publications, such as the following, are held on open access in the archives: The Knox Review, The Thistle News, The Thistle, The Grammarian and The Knoxonian.

Further Reading Suggestions

History of Knox: Read a brief history of the School.

SCHOOL HISTORY